Sunday 11 April 2010

19th Monthly Mass in the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin

Thomas asked me to attend the monthly Mass in Newbridge because he was away this month. I was happy to do so as it makes a change from the Latin Mass in Dublin. It's also nearer to me. I had attended twice previously and knew that the attendances are generally fairly low but I was unprepared for the attendance of 9 at a Sunday Mass, especially when the Priest celebrated alone in the sanctuary without even a single server. There was a general invitation to tea after Mass on previous Sundays, which I didn't accept because I wasn't comfortable walking right past the tabernacle (within inches) to have tea in a chapel directly behind the Blessed Sacrament. However, even the invitation to tea was absent on this occasion. This is all very disappointing after nearly two years. I don't think that the ('traditional') split at the beginning can entirely explain why things have gone from bad to worse. At any rate, I think there is no excuse for not having a server present. Katherine will add the statistical table later.

8 comments:

Random Thinker said...

Sad to see.

Anonymous said...

Is that graph representing individuals? Thats a very small number. Does it justify the Priest?

Donnelly's Hollow said...

This is just crazy. I attended Mass here a few times but it never appealed to me. Everyone needs to start working together to build up the church not trying to steal the efforts of other people. There is plenty of good things that we can all be doing.

Convenor said...

While I'm thanking the regular posters, it is only right that I send a public word of thanks to Jim, who can always be relied upon to step into the gap when called upon and to do it well. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

"very disappointing" is an understatement. This is not a good presentation of the power of the Usus Antiquior.

Anonymous said...

Thank God for the Mass! The numbers are not that important.

Geneviève said...

I think that when numbers are this low it is very easy to become obsessed with them. The only question is whether or not there is a pattern of growth. That is the real test of how successful the provision of Mass is.

Virgo Potens said...

A poor attendance but the secret is in strength of faith and not in numbers alone. "Be not afraid!" "I am with you always!"