Friday 30 April 2010

Valborgsmässoafton (St. Walpurgis eve) and Student Caps

The 30th of April is the feast day of St. Walpurgis, an English princess born in 710 AD. She lived with the nuns in Winborne Abbey, where she was also educated, for 26 years. She was the brought to Germany by Saint Boniface, her mother's brother who was also the Archbishop of Mainz, to help to make Christian the Germans. Once there she became a nun and later abbess of the monastery in Heidenheim where she lived until her death on February 25th, 779 AD. Canonized on May 1st 870 AD, by Pope Adrian II, (or it could also be the day when her body was moved or "translated" to lie next to the body of her brother), in Sweden we celebrate her on the eve of her Feast Day; Valborgsmässoafton - Walpurgis night. Her bones were, after her canonization, moved from Heidenheim to Eichstätt where they were placed in a rocky niche from which a miraculously therapeutic oil started sipping, drawing pilgrims from far and near.



In the Middle Ages a cult was developed in the memory of St. Walpurgis, which had as it's main objective to fight witches and evil forces.

Sir James Frazer wrote in The Golden Bough about St. Walpurgis' eve in Sweden; "The first of May is a great popular festival in the more midland and southern parts of Sweden. On the eve of the festival, huge bonfires, which should be lighted by striking two flints together, blaze on all the hills and knolls"

Valborgsmässoafton
in Sweden is an evening when witches (or the good fight against them anyway) are central to the celebrations. We light fires to protect against them and some people dress up as witches. It's an eve where dark forces run wild, only to be warded off at the dawn of St. Walpurgis Day - May 1st.

April 30th is also celbrated by students "singing to the spring". There are student concerts in most cities, often outdoors, and people wear their student hats.



The Swedish student cap (studentmössa), used since the mid-19th century, normally has a white crown, a black or dark blue band and a black peak. At the front of the band is a cockade of blue and yellow, the colours of the Swedish flag. Walpurgis eve is the first day when new students are allowed to wear their caps.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jag älskar det du har skrivit. Tack!

Donnelly's Hollow said...

Thank you Anka! You put a lot of effort into your postings. Is there any connection between the Easter fire and the St. Walpurgis fire?

Convenor said...

I don't usually put my thanks on the public record to contributers but it's about time that I did. We're all very grateful to Anka for the good work she does in posting these posts. I know for a fact that they have positive outcomes. I was speaking to one Swedish lady the other day who viewed these posts and is now thinking of entering the Church partly as a result of these posts. May God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks is really well deserved. I just found your blog after the Mass in Carlow but I'm fascinated by the customs of Sweden and the beautiful way they are presented on your blog. It's a great service to the Faith. I'd like to thank you too Anka!

Jane Ferris

Anonymous said...

Are there special songs for singing to the spring?

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting. I didn't realise that Sweden has so rich tradition still there. My question: why St. Walpurga? She is English and German associations but I do not know what connection is hers with Sweden. Are there similar customs for the Sts. of Sweden like Brigid? Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

It is really good to hear that students are being involved in these customs. That is the way to preserve them. I wish our universities would take a leaf out of Sweden's book.

Anka said...

Donnelly's Hollow; Well, in the sense of fire being a symbol for life, and particularly new life, I suppose there is. My guess, however, is that the firey traditions survived the best becuase they are so super cool! =) It's a dark country and anything bright and warm is worth holding on to! (Just like the celebrations of St. Lucy!)

Convenor; Wow! That's so good I almost can't believe it!

Anon1; Loads and loads!

Anon2; To be honest I'm not completely sure. I don't think she has any particular ties to Sweden, it's more likely a matter of people moving. In Medieval Europe, as I'm sure you know, trade and travel were integral parts of society and many Swedish cities were built, or at least designed, by German and Dutch builders. Sweden, today quite insignificant, was actually quite a strong nation. ...at least that's what WE learn in school, it's not at all impossible that that is just to boost morale... =)

Anka said...

There! I added a video of a student choir singing what is a typical St. Walpurgis-eve-in-Sweden-song!

Anonymous said...

The Nordic or North Germanic culture of Northern Europe, and of Christendom in general easily explains the connections between a Saxon Princess in England and Germany with the peoples of what is now Sweden (and the rest of Scandanavia, I believe).

It interests me that National holidays (holy days etymologically) still focus on Saints. You have had earlier posts on Ss. Agnes, Lucy and Pope St. Sylvester I and also the custom of Name Days still preserved by the Swedish Academy. I would like to know if there are any other major Saints days in the popular/National Calendar of Sweden?

JSB

Shandon Belle said...

I really like that song. I can imagine sitting around in my student cap singing it with my friends! ;) Thanks Anka!

Anonymous said...

The song is really good. I also liked the songs from St. Lucy post. I never thought of the Swedish as singers but they must have beautiful singing for it to be so much a part of their culture.

Anonymous said...

Like I said in the other comment I really enjoy the Sweden singers. I want to learn more about the Swedish singing tradition.