Instead of the annual pilgrimage to the Church of St. Paul on Dublin's Arran Quay, there was a Latin Mass in the Capuchin Church of St. Mary and the Angels just around the corner on Church St. It was held there because Ecclesia Dei - Ireland, another Latin Mass Association had had to postpone their 2010 AGM to 2011.
The foundation stone of the Church was laid on 12th June, 1868. It is build in a 14th century gothic style to the design of JJ McCarthy. It was dedicated in 1881 but not consecrated - there are no consecration crosses on the walls. JJ McCarthy was also responsible for St. Saviours (also 14th century gothic), Maynooth College Chapel, Mount Argus Church, Celbridge Parish Church and Kilcock Parish Church where the Latin Mass is sometimes celebrated.
The two side Altars to Our Lady and to St. Francis were installed in 1876. They were the work of Farrell and Sons, then of North Gloucester Street Lower (now Sean McDermott Street). Their most famous work in Dublin is the monuments to Archbishop Troy and Cardinal Cullen in the Pro-Cathedral, the statues of Sir John Grey and William Smith O'Brien on O'Connell St. and the sculptural aspects of Refugium Peccatorum in Rathmines.
A beautiful Sacred Heart Chapel used to run the length of the Church to the north. It was built in 1908-9 but was enclosed and converted into a large sacristy and parish hall a few years ago.
Queen of Angels, pray for us!
St. John of Capistrano - *Double (1954 Calendar):* March 28th Today is the Feast of St. John of Capistrano. On feastdays in Lent, more usually the Mass of the Lenten feria is sai...
1 hour ago