The following is from Fr. Thomas Walsh's History of the Irish Hierarchy, published in New York in 1854, chapter xlviii, at p. 489:
Naas formerly a place of importance as the kings of Leinster resided at Naas. It is a market town and borough.
The baron of Naas founded the priory of canons regular of St. Augustine in the 12th century.
AD 1317 Thomas was prior.
In the reign of Elizabeth it was discovered that part of the possessions of this house was concealed by Edward Misset of Dowdington. Richard Mannering obtained by patent AD 1553 the possessions of this house value yearly 35 18s 2d
The Dominican abbey in the centre of the town was erected by the family of Eustace for this order under the invocation of St. Eustachius, martyr, AD 1355 from whose family they were descended. At the dissolution of monasteries the property of this house was granted to Sir Thomas Luttrell who assigned them to John Travers, knight. A public inn has been erected on the site of this monastery.
The Augustinian abbey of Eremites was founded in the year 1484. Its ruins are still to be seen at the foot of the mount which lies at the farther end of the town. June 6th, twenty sixth of queen Elizabeth, a lease of this abbey for the term of fifty years was granted to Nicholas Aylmer.
Silverstream Priory Canonically Established as a Monastery - The following wonderful news comes from the official website of the diocese of Meath, Ireland. “Bishop Smith presided at the canonical establishment of a n...
8 hours ago