Sunday, 24 March 2019

Leighlinbridge Priory (Walsh)

The following is from Fr. Thomas Walsh's History of the Irish Hierarchy, published in New York in 1854, chapter xxxvii, at p. 368:

Leighlin Bridge two miles distant from Old Leighlin About the end of the reign of king Henry the Third this convent was founded for Carmelites by one of the Carews Edward the Third and Richard the Second were among its most liberal benefactors In the thirty fifth year of Henry VHL the convent of Leighlin bridge was annexed to the Crown and was afterwards converted into a fort in which a regular garrison had been stationed

No comments: